Sunday, March 19, 2006
epidurals and circumcisions...
this past week has presented me with a lot of "firsts." there is the obvious - having a baby. but there is so much more...
- the first epidural ever, which ended up being the first EIGHT epidurals ever... yes, the dr. says i have "tight" spaces... and even suggested i have scholiosis...
- the first time a pain killer (the epidural) has not worked for me, resulting in a severe drugging, in fact sometimes i still hallucinate
- the first time a MAN other than my husband, has been south of the border. and to think all this time i have so careful to get a woman OB and this week i really could care less.
- the first time a dr. has made several bad decisions while caring for me. (almost putting me on magnesium, mis-measuring my cervix by TWO centimeters)
- the first time i have been numb from my chest down (my leg did fall off the surgical table once!)
- the first time my husband threw up in a labor room - there wasn't even blood - just a lot of screaming
- the first time caron has ever seen my insides - and she liked it.
- the first time i have ever had an incision more than an inch and a half long
- the first time i have ever had my skin stapled together
- the first time i thought a dr. lost an instrument inside of me
- the first time i have ever been strapped to a table with no pants on (yikes!)
- the first time i have ever ordered an italian strawberry ice and apple juice at two o'clock in the morning.
- the first time i have ever said "oompa loompa" for no reason at all (these drugs were absolutely crazy... like i said, i am still messed up)
- the first time i have seen a recently circumcised wee-wee, and had to take care of it
the list could go on and on and on and on and on... but the best first is being a mom. little kids are great. there is such a warmth you feel, an attachment, a bond that is so strong. this baby is part of me. and i love him. he was worth the 15 hours of labor and the following surgery... and the following three days in the hospital. i would do it again. i would go through double what i did if i had to. finn is the greatest blessing and i can't wait to share him with you all.
Written by corrie at 6:26 PM